Canadian consumers want to know where their food comes from and they want to know that the work behind producing it is environmentally, economically and socially sustainable – Chicken farmers deliver.
Canadian chicken farmers take this stewardship seriously and are proud of the innovation and hard work they put in daily.
For Chicken Farmers of Canada (CFC), sustainable chicken production means protecting animal health and welfare, producing safe chicken, preserving the health of the land and of Canadian farms and contributing to the Canadian economy by providing affordable food to Canadians.
Chicken Farmers of Canada has already made great strides in these areas:
Protecting bird health and welfare
- CFC is implementing a national, mandatory Raised by a Canadian Farmer Animal Care Program that is enforced and includes 3rd party audits
- The Canadian chicken industry is implementing a comprehensive Antimicrobial Use Strategy that involves surveillance, education, research, and reduction
Producing safe chicken for Canadians
- CFC is implementing a national, mandatory Raised by a Canadian Farmer On-Farm Food Safety Program which has received full recognition from the federal, provincial, and territorial governments
- The Canadian chicken industry has an effective and responsive traceability system in place, as well as communication and operational plans for dealing with potential disease outbreaks
Providing value to Canada, and affordable food to Canadians through supply management
- Supply management allows farmers to invest with confidence in their operations, for the industry to contribute positively to the Canadian economy and give back to local communities, and for consumers to be assured of a steady supply of fresh, high-quality chicken at a reasonable price.
Preserving the health of the land and of our farms
- Canadian chicken farmers have adopted practices on the farm to reduce environmental impact
- The carbon footprint of Canadian chicken is lower than the other livestock commodities produced in North America
- Canadian chicken farms are healthy and vibrant, welcoming new entrants each year to a strong community of family farms
Want to know what consumers think of our environmental success? Watch their reactions in the video below.