Mucci Farms is expanding.
The Ontario-based greenhouse grower is growing its operations in Kingsville, Ontario and Huron, Ohio by a combined 206 acres over the next two years. The expansion includes:
- 25 acres of tomatoes on-the-vine in Huron
- 30 acres of multiple varieties of bell peppers in Kingsville
- 36 acres of Smuccies Sweet strawberries in Kingsville, doubling the current acreage to a total of 72 acres
- 15 acres of mini-cocktail cucumbers
- 100-acres of multiple varieties of bell peppers at a new site in Kingsville with construction beginning in 2022
"Demand for greenhouse grown produce is growing rapidly as consumers continue to put pressure on the food industry to prioritize food safety, sustainability, responsible growing practices and clean growing environments," said Bert Mucci, Mucci Farms' chief executive officer, in a press release.
The addition of these new facilities is part of Mucci Farms’ ongoing expansion efforts. In June, the company announced it would open warehouses in Romulus, Michigan and San Antonio, Texas, and in August 2019 it purchased Orangeline Farms in Leamington, Ont.