Food trade show SIAL Canada has unveiled the ten finalists for its 2023 Innovation competition.
The products, all launched after April 2022, were selected by a grand jury. Finalists were selected based on new benefits brought to the consumer and/or the distributor and/or the restaurant owner (across pleasure, health/form, practicality and ethics) as well as added value on the recipe, manufacturing process, packaging and marketing positioning.
Winners will be announced in an awards ceremony held during SIAL on May 9 at 10:45 a.m.
''This year's theme, ‘Own The Change,’ speaks to the innovation our food system will need to undergo over the next decade to feed the world sustainably. SIAL highlights and celebrates these changemakers to inspire others. Innovation doesn't need to be a quantum leap, but it does need to add value and fill a customer or consumer need. Our ten finalists for SIAL Innovation 2023 have created something that moves us further ahead on that sustainability journey and offers the Canadian market a new benefit in either pleasure, health, or convenience. They cover the consumer, food service, and packaging, whether it be a healthier and more sustainable update to a traditional snack product, a more convenient RTE format, or adding a functional or upcycled ingredient. The future isn't someplace we go; it's something we create,” said Jo-Ann McArthur, president and co-founder of Nourish Food Marketing and innovation president of the Canadian jury at SIAL Canada 2023, in a statement.
SIAL takes place May 9 to 11 at the Enercare Centre in Toronto.
See the 2023 finalists below.
- Stir Cauliflower Rice | Casa Verde
- Shaped Aluminum Bottles | Kat
- Cold Pressed Cocktail Mixers | La Presserie
- Plant-based Egg Substitutes – White, Yolk, Whole | Yumgo (Alternative Kitchen)
- Frozen Superfood Tea | Millenia Tea Inc
- Hemp Crush | Veggy Crush (Milzu)
- Fibrepot | Green Bowl Foods
- Functional Drink Ginger + Chamomile | Healtea
- Roasted Chickpea Snacks – Dark Chocolate | Three Farmers
- Vacuum-dried Fruit Chips | Greencious