Just days ahead of the long weekend that signals the unofficial start of summer for many Canadians, Loblaw has released its popular PC Insiders Report for summer.
As usual, Loblaw created the guide as a multipurpose resource for dining and entertaining over the course of the season ahead. While last year’s guide offered 100 products, recipes and ideas for hosting, the 2023 edition offers closer to 50, but with an emphasis on global inspirations, like ube, a purple yam popular in Filipino cuisine.
PC has introduced the Ube Boba Cream Pie and Ube Pandesai Buns. “Traditional pandesal buns are eaten for breakfast or stuffed with cheese or peanut butter for a snack,” the company said in a release highlighting some of the new products. “But, they can be used for anything from burgers, to sandwiches to sweet treats.”
"We want to help Canadians make the most out of their summer when grilling, outdoor entertaining and generally just enjoying the season," said Heather Fadali, vice-president, Loblaw brands at Loblaw Companies Limited, in a statement. "We're introducing global flavours in so many categories and launching unexpected new products that are unbelievably delicious. From a four-layer pierogi dip to frozen cookie dough bites filled with ice cream, we have an incredible amount of new products to discover."
The report is available in printed form at Loblaw owned stores across the country, while the digital edition is also free at PC.ca.
Among the new products of offer are:
- PC Black Label Umami Wagyu Burgers: Made with marbled wagyu beef and offers an “umami flavour bomb” with seasonings and spices including shiitake mushroom powder and parmesan cheese.
- PC 4 -Layer Loaded Pierogi Dip: A layer of creamy, whipped potato with bits of bacon, followed by a layer of caramelized onions, and sour cream and green onions.
- PC Lobster Roll Kit: No-cook, thaw-and-serve lobster rolls, made with wild-caught, MSC-certified East Coast lobster, coated in lemony aioli.
- PC Cookie Dough Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bites: Vanilla ice cream wrapped in a sugar cookie dough.
- PC Carolina Gold Sauce Pork Back Ribs: Slow-cooked, ready-to-grill ribs, coated in a sauce made with Canadian mustard seeds and apple cider vinegar.