Saffron Sugar Cube from Taj Foods is the winner of SIAL Canada's annual innovation contest, beating out nine other finalists for the top honour, which was awarded during the food trade exposition in Toronto this week.
The flavoured sugar cubes are made of 100% natural and herbal ingredients "to enrich the flavour and the experience of our consumers."
“Extremely proud and overwhelmed by a surprising win. A lot of hard work is behind this item and we hope this achievement brightens the horizon for the company,” said Sep Horiri, sales director at Taj Foods.
The winning new product receives $30,000 worth of consultations from Nielsen and free booths at all SIAL’s shows abroad this year in China, the Philippines, Paris and Abu Dhabi.
This year's judging panel included:
· Dana McCauley, CEO, Blue Unicorn Innovation and Innovation Expert at SIAL Canada
· Karen Proper, technical manager, product and process development, consulting and technical services, NSF International
· Marie-France Gibson, vice-president, private brands, Metro
· Birgit Blain, president, Birgit Blain & Associates
· John Placko, culinary director, Modern Culinary Academy and Powder for Texture
· Jane Dummer, principal and founder, Jane Dummer Consulting
· Laura Calder, writer and television host
· Brian Hircock, president at Raining Communications
The finalists and winner were on display at this year’s SIAL Canada show in Toronto. This year’s show had more than 14,000 plus exhibitors from 200 countries and was expected to attract 330,000 visitors.