A third Longo's employees has tested positive for COVID-19.
In a statement published to its website Sunday, Longo’s president and CEO Anthony Longo confirmed that a team member at its Guelph store had tested positive for the virus. The affected team member’s last shift was on March 24th, he said.
Last week the independent grocer announced a store employee in Woodbridge, Ont. and a Grocery Gateway driver had tested positive. While Longo's closed the Woodbridge location to perform a deep clean of the building, the Guelph store has remained open.
Under a "Frequently Asked Questions" section of the website, Longo's was asked why it was keeping the Guelph store open following the team member's positive test results. Longo's said it was acting "under the guidance of public health" and would continue to follow their direction and protocols. "This includes not hesitating to close a store when their direction suggests that as the best course of action."
Longo said Longo's had taken on additional deep cleaning measures in-store, and it would support any team members who may need to self-isolate and instruct them to stay home.
"This issue has our full attention and we are moving forward with the health and safety of every team member and guest in mind," said Longo. "We are committed to being open and transparent on developments as they happen."